11 June 2009

Plane Food




When I'm on a plane, there are two things I look forward to: arriving at the destination and when the food service cart is rolled onto the aisle. Okay, so airplane food may never get a Michelin star rating but I must say I've had several memorable airplane meals. It's unfortunate that these days, many airlines have stopped serving food to cut costs. They don't even give away those little packets of peanuts anymore. Only drinks are free. They do sell food like sandwiches and snacks, but $4.00 for peanuts?!

To turn this blah situation into a Tada!, here's what I do:


I get myself a plastic container -- you know, the ones where they package take-out food.

I add these colorful liners that not only make my snack tray pretty, they make very good compartments for the nibbles I've prepared: cheese & crackers, nuts and dried fruit!

I like using these plastic containers because there's less garbage after the meal, food keeps it shape (no flat sandwiches), there's less mess and it can easily be stuffed into your carry-on luggage or handbag.

You can choose whatever you want to put in it and you're sure it's healthy! Here I've selected some banana muffins, an apple and raisins that I can eat with coffee or tea while watching an in-flight movie.

Depending on how long the flight is, you can pack smaller snacks that you can enjoy in between naps and reading. I think these containers I got at a Japanese store are ready for the job.

I've filled them with fruit (blueberries), protein (hard boiled eggs) and sweets (my favorite dark chocolate)...hey, everyone deserves a treat! You can also use these for kiddie snacks -- one for each child.

For the duration of the trip, simply rinse these containers and re-fill with more snacks.

For the flight back home, buy some snacks that you loved from your destination (ex. pain au chocolat, empanadas,
cupcakes) for that one last vacation hurrah.

18 comments:

  1. So right!
    Love raisins and eat them pretty much anything.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit Slices of Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! I flew Swiss recently and had two wonderful meal choices, I picked the vegi lasagna, it came with salad, bread, butter, and a chocolate mousse. I was offered drinks, chose red wine, plenty of water was served as well, and I had peanuts in my hands as soon as the plane was in the air. All free. This was economy. Swiss has teamed up with United, so cheers to them, right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Beach House Dreamer! Thanks for coming by! Wow, that selection is Mmmm-mmmm-mmm! Cheers to airlines that still serve full meals + snacks + drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Your snacks look beautiful and delicious. I usually just bring a granola bar which seems a little sad next to your thoughtful plane food...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo! i like this idea! my lunch would look so much better with cute liners. i'm gonna remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sara...I always take a ganola bar with me whether or not I'm traveling. I turn into an ugly beast when I'm hungry :-) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Made Sweet! Welcome! Oh yes...this idea can apply to everyday lunch & snacks, too =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun blog! This would make my boring old ho hum lunch shine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there Lizzy! Thanks for visiting =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a great idea!! I too look forward to 2 things when im on the plane: arriving at the destination and when the food service cart is rolled onto the aisle. Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME ideas and so simple thanks for sharing. Now I can tell my next flight will be much tastier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Claire, I love the fun & creative concept of your blog :) $4.00 for peanuts sounds bit much. Your snack packs are a great alternative and look so tasty and appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh hi Jacqueline, Emily & Wini! THANKS for stopping by my blog and for sharing such sweet comments. I wish you safe & delicious travels if you're planning any soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I recently have been making meals for the lfying for my husband and even put together a meal in Paris to come home. Never again will I eat airline food. The best part is the looks your get from the other passengers. I'm thinking it might make sense to make a few extras and make a little money:)I love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow Lemon Tart! I would love to see your lunchbox creations =) Great idea about selling food while flying the friendly skies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I'm hungry. :) And your ideas are very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Amber! Wishing you happy travels & fun meals =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!