02 July 2010

The Bubble Lady


Right around this time, in 2007, I was in Chicago. It was the perfect summer day and I was at the Lincoln Park farmer's market. I was sitting on a bench, enjoying a strawberry crepe and right across me was this lady. I call her "The Bubble Lady".

She had a little bubble machine, which I refer to
as her magic wand. Bubbles, bubbles,
bubbles everywhere!

I too, wanted to have lots of bubbles.

So when I'm down to the last drops
of dish soap...

Or detergent, shampoo & body wash...

I add water to the bottle, give it a shake
and pour the liquid into a container.

I put the bottles in the recycle bin
and this is what I do with the collected water:

I agitate it to make it really, really sudsy.

TADA! Instant bubble liquid!

I can easily conjure up some bubbles to turn
my day from blah to TADA!

Or pretend to be "The Bubble Lady"
and make toddlers happy!

I love how excited they are while chasing the bubbles,
making them pop.

Here's another bubble recipe from this book:

You'll need:

3 cups water
1 cup liquid soap (baby shampoo or baby bath)
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix all ingredients together & use different
materials to form bubbles like coat hangers,
fly swatters and strawberry baskets.


I found the book at the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe
(New York City) and I'm definitely going back to
see what new craft book I'll find.

Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend
and find some time to blow bubbles!


12 comments:

  1. I love bubbles! I used to do that when I was a kid when I discovered that shampoo can make bubbles.Very simple way to make a blah into a TADA! :D

    xoxo
    Alien

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that were a guy, that would be creepy.

    I bought bubbles a few months ago from my old job and I keep forgetting to take them with me when I go out anywhere, so this post will hopefully remind me to grab them and start having fun! It's the perfect weekend for it and Summer will be over before I know it.
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for saying Hi today Aline and Taylor.
    Taylor, I know -- Bubble Boy does sound creepy!
    Have a fun weekend filled with bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep love those bubbles..I guess the little kid in me comes out..and such a simple recipe to make bubbles, I also like your 'out of the box' ideas to form the bubbles with. Who would'a thought of a fly swatter?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea!!!! I'll try it next sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bubbles. They bring out the kid in us. Great bubble making ideas:) Thanks!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute! i want to do that :) isn't housing works amazing??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a huge fan of bubbles!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I really LOVE it. Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Betty! I credit the fly swatter & strawberry container to the book's author -- Patricia Caskey :) Thanks also Melafragola, Raina, NYC Lu (Housing Works rocks!) and Jacqueline! I'm glad I'm not the only fan of bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's so neat! i've never thought to make my own bubbles before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure the key secret for successful bubble making was the way you agitated that mixture :) Happy 4th July!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you're having a fun weekend Jensen & Veronika! Thanks for saying hi today!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!